Monday, July 14, 2008

From good to bad

On Sunday, a friend came to visit after church. We had a nice meal, then hung out at the farm and played with Luke and the puppies, Rascal and Petey. It was a hot but beautiful day, so we did some animal watching from the shady, cool front porch. Afterwards, I gave her the business tour and we picked up some dinner and brought it back home. We hung out on the porch some more and realized that Petey wasn't around...so we played with Rascal and Clark, the cat. So that was a pretty good day.

R.I.P., Petey
This morning, still no Petey, which has never happened before. I knew something had to be wrong, so searched the barn and the nearby pond for any signs. Seeing nothing, I finished getting everything ready for the day and took DS to a friend's house for the day. On the way I scanned for Petey...and found him lying on the side of the highway. I stopped and checked for life signs, but of course there were none. Rigor mortis had set in, and I got upset. DS asked if that was Petey, and if he had been hit by a car, and I said "yes, we won't be playing with Petey any more". He didn't seem to be upset by that at all, which was good. I took him to my friend and drove back to take care of Petey.

I won't go into much more detail, but I'll say that I couldn't handle things myself so called in some help to get the job done. Once everything was over, I took Rascal to work with me so he wouldn't wander around looking for Petey all day. They were brothers and best buddies, but he seems to be doing fairly well. Just a bit whiny and looking for attention, which I'm sure is normal.

I am very tired...so this was a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment